Professor Sukumar S Merh obtained his MSc (Geology) at the Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi in 1948. He joined the MS University of Baroda (1951) and taught Engineering Geology to civil engineering students. He was deputed by the MS University to the Imperial College of Science and Technology, London (1957) for his doctoral studies and worked under John Sutton and came in close contact with Janet Watson and Johan Ramsay, the eminent metamorphic and structural geologists of those days. On his return to India (1960) Merh was entrusted with the task of setting up a full-fledged Department of Geology at Baroda and was appointed as a Professor of Geology (1963) and then a Senior Professor (1972). He was an INSA Senior Scientist (1989-91). Academic and Research Achievements: While abroad, Merh worked on Moinia rocks of Scottish Highlands and emphasized on the structural complexities of his study area. In the department of Geology at Baroda, he taught and did research on geology, both pure and applied. Professor Merh has published a large number of research papers, books and monographic, and guided supervised 46 students for their PhD degree. Others Contributions: Professor Merh conceptualized the inter-disciplinary quaternary research programme in the country. He has been associated with numerous educational and professional organizations. He worked as a Chairman of the Governing Body of the Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology, Dehra Dun (1985-88). He was INSA Council Member (1987-89). Awards and Honours: Professor Merh is a recipient DN Wadia Medal of INSA (2001). He is a Fellow of the Indian Academy of Science, Bangalore and National Academy of Science (India), Allahabad. He was President of the Geology-Geography Section of the Indian Science Congress (1980); and Indian Geological Congress (1986).